Home
 
About Us
 
Technology
 
Bulk Products
 
Retail Products
 
Retailers
 
Chefs & Recipes
 
Partners
 
Media
 
Contact Us
 
 

About Hawaii Kai

For centuries, Hawaiians on the tiny island of Molokai harvested salt from her clean, clear waters.

An honored tradition, which Hawaii Kai has reinvented for our time.

In 2003, Kent Clampitt, an entrepreneur and process engineer, was vacationing on Molokai with his wife Peggy. There they met Nancy Gove, who had invented a new method of sea-salt making, and experienced first-hand the outstanding taste and purity of the exceptional sea salts she produced. So began a fascinating journey of research, discovery, and innovation, which culminated in the development of Hawaii Kai's breakthrough "Solar Seal" sea-salt making technology.

Commercial table salt, and, indeed, most gourmet salts, contain approximately 99% sodium chloride. By having a scientific analysis performed on the Molokai "whole salt" harvested by traditional methods, Kent determined that it contained only 81% sodium chloride, a distinct health benefit. The remaining 19% was comprised of some 80 natural elements, electrolytes, and trace minerals that imparted the salt's exceptional taste qualities.

Research evolved into a vision: to create a new, high-technology company able to produce the world's finest gourmet sea salts in commercial quantities, laying the foundation for a unique, micro-economic business model for Molokai residents.

In order to fully develop the proprietary "Solar Seal" technology, establish the "SaltMasters Guild of Hawaii®," create and launch product-branding and marketing programs, and achieve the company's grand vision, Hawaii Kai raised substantial amounts of capital from several private investors, starting with Kent Clampitt. Subsequently, the company went through multiple ownership changes, but the ownership and management structure stabilized in 2007 and has remained constant ever since.

In the Hawaiian language, "kai" means "ocean," the source of life, so the fledgling company was named Hawaii Kai - with a mission to produce an incomparable suite of ocean-based products, bringing to the world the essence of the source.

 
The SaltMasters Guild of Hawaii® was founded by Hawaii Kai to provide selected Molokai residents a fulfilling, respectable career consistent with island culture. On June 13, 2005, Speaker of the House Calvin Say and State Representative Ken Hiraki came to the island of Molokai to recognize the revival in the ancient tradition of salt making that has begun through the SaltMasters Guild of Hawaii. Pictured below is Cameron Hiro, Hawaii Kai's first independent Salt Master, and his wife Jackie, holding plaques from the Hawaii State House of Representatives and Hawaii Kai Corporation.